Our 1st year of marriage + 10 things we've learned
Ben and I are celebrating our 1st Anniversary today! We've taken a few minutes to think about what we've learned and wanted to share it with you. Whether single or already married or are looking forward to being in the future, here are our top ten tips for marriage (so far)!
Ten Tips For Marriage - Our First Year
1. Pray together every single day. Prayer is the most powerful weapon we have against the enemy! "The thief's purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." John 10:10 (NLT)
2. Keep your first year of marriage simple. If you've already been married for a few years, this still applies! Don't over complicate life with commitments that threaten to overcrowd your schedule & minimize time together. For a great resource on how to live simply, I highly recommend Shawna Niequist's book, Present Over Perfect.
3. Put in the work to budget early on with your finances. Set goals and work hard to become debt free. Benjamin and I have learned so much from Dave Ramsey's Ministry.
4. Ladies! Don't always expect your husband to put the toilet seat down if he doesn't expect you to put the toilet seat up! Just sayin.'
5. If at all possible, do without a television the first year (or forever) This will challenge you both to "date" one another and spend time doing other fun things.
6. Make your plans but allow the Holy Spirit to order your steps with all areas of your marriage. He is the only One that will keep you together & growing in love! "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9
7. Eat healthy meals & exercise together! One of my favorite dishes to make is White Chicken Chili! Try it here: https://pin.it/5k4bHva
8. God designed sex to be enjoyed between a husband & wife! Continually discover one another & communicate about your needs and desires. Two books we would highly recommend reading are: Intended For Pleasure & Act of Marriage.
9. Maintain or build a relationship with an older couple who can give you advice and wisdom in the years to come. "Plans fail for lack of counsel but with many advisors they succeed." Proverbs 15:22 (NLT)
10. Choose a scripture for your marriage & put it in a place where you will see it everyday! We have this in our living room: "Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony." Colossians 3:13-14 (NLT)