Real Life Mamas: Hannah McLeod!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself!
I'm Hannah! It's always such a funny thing trying to let you know about me in just a quick blurb because there is a whole lot that makes each of us who we are! I'm a Jesus-follower, a wife (and marriage is one of my favorite things ever), a mom to our rainbow baby (Jack - he will be 1 in August!) I'm originally from Portland, OR but moved to Spokane, WA for college, met my hubby right after graduating and never left! I worked for 8+ years in the advertising world as an account manager, but after having Jack was able to become a stay at home mom as well as a full time Beachbody coach (which to me means I'm a community creator, personal cheerleader, and brand rep on my own terms!) Spaghetti will forever be my favorite food. My favorite place traveled as far as beauty was Hilton Head Island, SC and for memories would be South Africa! I'm an enneagram 3w2 and excited to be able to share some thoughts.
2. What sets your soul on fire? The kind of fire that makes you feel completely alive?
What sets my soul on fire is living each day with intention and knowing that what I am doing, whether in the mundane or exciting, is making a difference! About 3 years ago I realized I was living my life waiting for the next cool thing to happen and was super complacent. Life was good but I had no fire or drive. Now my fire comes from living as an example of what life can be like, sharing my heart and my thoughts openly and honestly on social media, and walking alongside women who want to do the same thing. It's pretty much becoming my best self in every aspect:
- Living with big dreams but completely open hands and a listening heart to what the Lord wants from me. My mission is to do it all for the glory of God and the good of others.
- Taking the Bible at face value and living that out even if it's not what the culture says is best (examples: being a submissive wife, taking my thoughts captive, not putting my trust in money or my own abilities, turning the other cheek, etc)
- Taking care of the physical body I have since it's the only one I've got!
- Doing life in community and not trying to figure it all out on my own
- Making my marriage rock!!
- Being able to look ahead 5 years and love the direction my life is going!
3. What have you been learning about living life to the fullest?
I have been learning a lot about living life to the fullest:
- Cherish both the sweet AND the hard moments of being a mom because time is flying and I don't want to wake up in 20 years and realize I was so focused on the next nap, weekend, or whatever to enjoy what was right in front of me. And of course this applies to other aspects of life but I realize it most when I'm taking care of my son.
- The best place to be is in the middle of the God's will for my life. And to know what that looks like requires seeking, asking, listening, and obeying. And even though it can be scary, I know the whole point is to not do it by my own strength.
- In this season I have been hearing the phrase "I have blessed you to be a blessing," so part of living each day to the fullest is keeping my eyes out for who I can help: whether that's with an encouraging word, giving my time even when it's inconvenient, or perhaps surprising a friend in need with a financial gift!
- The quote "If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree." It's easy to limit ourselves and not realize that we are wildly capable!
4. What decisions have you made in your life to more fully receive God's best for yourself?
To fully receive God's best I decided that I want to follow his word more than my feelings or what sounds good to me. I've come to accept that in the moment, things may not seem fun or fair or pleasant. And just because something seems to make me happy in the short term, God is after my long term joy. He is my Creator and designed me so intimately that he knows the best way for my life. He gave us guidelines (both things to avoid and things to pursue) FOR OUR OWN GOOD! Following those things brings us in line with his will and that is the safest, most joyful, fulfilling, abundant place to be!
Practically?? Purity. Switching my mindset from desiring the American Dream to listening to what God might want for my life, being a submissive wife, learning to Sabbath (still learning this one), not letting unwholesome talk out of my mouth, aligning what I believe is right and wrong with what the Bible tells us, when life is HARD (like when we miscarried our first) leaning into God instead of push him away.
5. What is your best advice to anyone asking the question, "How can I live with more purpose and intention?"
Don't underestimate the little things. If we are trusted with a little, then we can be trusted with a lot. So prayer is the clear first thing. Find ways that connect you to the Father. I recommend the book "Whispers of Hope" by Beth Moore. Be ok with silence. Make the first thing you do each day be invite the Spirit into your day. And then stop making excuses for yourself and your bad habits or dishonoring thoughts. Also don't consider self-deprecation the same as humility. We have been given a spirit of POWER, love, and a sound mind. Live each day like you believe that!
TO STAY CONNECTED WITH HANNAH - Follow her on Instagram @hannah.mcleod.fit